A simple solution to poor food choices
Cinnabons, oversized muffins and cookies, ice cream, pizza. Been to the airport lately? That’s exactly what you’ll find! Sure in the midst of unhealthy airport food, you’ll find the occasional over-priced fruit cup and predominantly iceberg lettuce-salad, but how often are you choosing one of those options? Skies aren’t any bluer once you board that flight either. In fact, now you’re like a prisoner trapped in a cell, waiting for the guard to bring you lunch. What’s on the menu today? More iceberg lettuce (with a cherry tomato if you’re lucky)?
STOP! It’s time to reclaim control and quit being the victim! Let’s face it, whether you’re at the airport or in your car, when hunger strikes you’re at the mercy of the nearest fast food restaurant or food stand. Not anymore! Introducing the “Feed Bag”.
Years ago I was packing my abnormally large lunch bag for work as I did every day, when my husband caught a glimpse of the contents: “That’s quite the Feed Bag you’ve got there Mel!”
You see, my bag was full of the traditional lunch fare—sandwich, apple and yogurt—but I certainly couldn’t neglect my mid-morning, afternoon and post-workout snack could I? My lunch bag became more than a lunch bag…it became my “Feed Bag”—a home for approximately a half-day’s worth of food. If I didn’t pack it, I’d be tempted to raid the office candy jar or zip through the nearest drive-thru window on the way to the gym. This way, I held the cards. I was in control!
What’s in my “Feed Bag?” Glad you asked! First, I always think “Food Groups” and then pack something to fulfill each one:
- Fruit: Apple, banana, pear, or grapes
- Vegetable: A 3-cup food container full of raw veggies (cherry tomatoes, baby carrots, celery sticks, bell pepper strips, sliced cucumbers, etc.) or a can of low-sodium V8 Juice.
- Milk: Cheese stick or Greek yogurt cup
- Grain: A handful of Triscuit crackers, slice of whole grain bread or Kashi bar
- Meat/Meat Substitute: Veggie burger patty (I like Morningstar), edamame, or hard-boiled egg
- Healthy Fat: Small container of walnuts, peanuts or almonds
Just think, in less than 10-minutes you can set yourself up for a day full of more energy, better nutrition and a healthier body in the long run. So…what will you pack in your “Feed Bag” today?