A peak inside of Melanie’s refrigerator
You asked for it…a little glimpse inside of my kitchen! Remember my “90-10” rule? Fill your diet (and of course your kitchen) with 90% Good-4-YOU food and 10% FUN! I try to follow this rule in my own kitchen and keep it top of mind when grocery shopping and meal planning. Check it out!
– Unsweetened almond milk for smoothies
– Cherries for an afternoon snack or with my lunch
– Kale for smoothies: one big handful per smoothie
– Spinach for salads: we eat BIG salads for dinner twice a week
– Cheese (REAL cheese) with my nightly glass of wine (just a few cubes!)
– Thin crust pizza shells: because sometimes a girl has a taste for pizza!
– White beans: I boil these up on a Sunday and add them to my meals throughout the week (salads, eggs, soups)
– Random fruits and veggies (blueberries, cauliflower, cucumbers): fresh blueberries go in my morning oatmeal; cucumbers in my salad or as a snack; cauliflower for mashed “potatoes” (steam cauliflower pieces then puree with a splash of skim milk and a couple of spoonfuls of non-fat plain Greek yogurt. Season with a touch of salt, pepper and cheese. One of my favs!)
– Lean ground turkey: for hubby’s turkey burgers. I mix with a bit of soy sauce, whole grain bread crumbs, egg, lemon juice, garlic, scallions and spinach. Form into burgers and cook in frying pan for 5 minutes each side or until cooked. Allow to cool then wrap each burger in wax paper and freeze in freezer bag. Reheat in microwave for 60-90 seconds!
– Leftover Chipotle Burrito Bol with veggies and whole grain brown rice (love my Chipotle!!)
– Alvarado Street Bakery sprouted whole grain bread
– Hummus: dip for veggies or crackers!
– Hemp seeds: to mix in oatmeal or sprinkle on salads (good source of omega 3’s!)
– Broccoli…because everyone should have a head of broccoli in their fridge!
– Eggs: I hard-boil about 6-8 eggs on Sunday so they are ready for the week! Eat as a snack, chop on salad, make into egg salad and spread on toast.
Pantry #1: (left)
– Whole grain corn chips: The Better Chip is an awesome, non-GMO chip made with whole grain corn, veggies and is muy delicioso!
– Twix bars and fresh catnip: because I’m human and a cat has to have some fun! Don’t judge us! 😉
– Unsalted spices and baking ingredients
– Dried fruit: for salads or to add to homemade cookie dough
– Non-GMO, whole grain cereal: Cascadian Farms, Peace All Natural and Kashi are my favs!
Pantry #2: (right)
– Quaker Oats: morning oatmeal or for cookies!
– Fresh ground peanut butter: for smoothies
– Unsweetened cocoa powder: for smoothies
– Unsalted nuts: for salads, oatmeal or snack!
– Brown sugar: for oatmeal (I’ve tried it sans sugar and I just don’t enjoy it! I add one measuring teaspoon and it does the trick!
– Dry beans and lentils
– Canned tomatoes: for sauces
– Nut Thins Artisan Crackers: whole grain, gluten-free crackers that go good with tuna salad, egg salad, bean salad…or just by themselves
– Low Sodium Light Tuna: Mix with diced avocados, peppers, onions and dried cranberries for the perfect lunch!
– Colon Cleaner Hot Sauce (bottom right corner): Just for fun (and to make sure you’re paying attention)- this is a gag-gift from my parents. Haven’t tried it yet…but I’ll let you know what happens 😉
Make it happen!
Take a look in your kitchen and see where you can do a little cleaning up! Choose one or two items to add to your shopping list for your next grocery trip. Maybe it’s a bag of beans and a new vegetable you’ve never tried before. Remember, it’s all about taking baby steps!