A canned food that’s secretly healthy
You’ve probably passed this nutrition powerhouse hundreds of times as you pushed your grocery cart down the cake mix aisle. Canned pumpkin isn’t just for making pies my friends, in fact the possibilities are endless!
Pumpkin happens to be a great source of fiber and vitamin A, a powerful antioxidant and immune-boosting vitamin. One serving of canned pumpkin offers your body 380% of the daily value for vitamin A and 4 grams of fiber. Not bad for a food you open with a can opener! Just be sure you’re choosing the can labeled “100% Pure Pumpkin” and not “Pumpkin Pie Mix”, which is made with added sugars.
So how can you sneak this member of the gourd family into your diet today? Here are 5 quick ideas using canned pumpkin:
- Stir a heaping spoonful of canned pumpkin into your morning oatmeal and sprinkle with cinnamon
- Mix 1 cup of pumpkin into 3 cups of marinara sauce to cut back on sodium
- To thicken your smoothie, add 1/4 cup of pumpkin to the mix
- Stir 3 tablespoons of pumpkin into 1/2 cup of applesauce for a different flavor
- Add canned pumpkin to your pancake mix!
Crack open a can of pumpkin today and bring on the health benefits!
Make it an energizing day!