How to nip your hangover in the bud!
This is the time of year when we tend to go a bit overboard on the cocktails, wouldn’t you agree? Let’s say you had one too many Christmas Ales at last night’s annual holiday office party and now you’re paying the price. Your first thought is to lie in bed all day, and nurse your hangover with a Chipotle burrito. That plan will leave you hanging on to your hangover even longer. Below you’ll find a plan you can follow to help pick yourself up and get back on track. Your body will thank you for it!
The 3-Step Day-After Forgiveness Plan
Step 1: Hydrate
Fill your water bottle and drink. Start with 16 ounces. Don’t forget to check the color of your urine. If it’s the color of the beer you drank last night, hydrate some more. If at some point you found yourself in the bathroom hugging the porcelain throne, be sure to replenish your electrolytes with coconut water or a sports drink like Gatorade.
Step 2: Remove butt from bed
The last thing you want to do is exercise, but it’s the only thing that will make you feel better immediately. Take a brisk 20-minute walk or hop on the stair climber at the rec center. Do something, anything—just move! Don’t forget to carry your water bottle with you and hydrate some more.
Step 3: Nourish
Be kind to your body today and feed it well. Here’s a solid plan:
- Breakfast: Eat a bowl of fortified cereal with skim milk (try to pass on the Lucky Charms and go for Whole Grain Total Raisin Bran instead).
- Lunch: Eat a nice big salad with lots of veggies, beans, a small portion of lean protein like baked chicken or fish and a whole-grain roll.
- Dinner: Try a big bowl of chicken-noodle or vegetable soup with half a sandwich.
- Snacks: Between meals, snack on fruit, nuts, string cheese or carrot sticks with hummus or peanut butter.
Before you toast with that second drink, keep in mind the following alcohol facts:
- One serving is equal to 12 ounces of beer, 5 ounces of wine or 1.5 ounces of hard liquor
- Too much in any form weakens your immune system, making it easier than ever for you to get sick
- Alcohol turns on your appetite “switch.” It’s as if a little voice in your head whispers: “Go ahead, eat it. It doesn’t count.”
- It diminishes your ability to absorb several key vitamins and minerals
- Energy drinks + hard liquor does NOT equal an energetic drunk!
Not only have studies shown those who consume energy drinks with alcohol drink more, but they also drink for longer periods of time, have higher blood-alcohol levels and are four times more likely to try to drive drunk. The stimulating effects of the energy drink can trick your brain into thinking you’re sober when in fact you’re drunk. In other words, you become an “awake” drunk!
I know you might not want to hear it, but moderation is key…especially with alcohol! Whether it’s regular beer, light beer, eggnog, wine or martinis—MODERATION is key!