Fight inflammation…with your feet?
I must admit that about a year ago I began secretly collecting excuses from clients, friends and family for why they weren’t more active. Mind you, I wasn’t asking, but for some reason they felt they had to tell me. I’m not sure if it made them feel better about themselves, but truthfully they aren’t fooling anyone…especially themselves. Here are some of my favorites:
- “I had to stop and get gas”
- “The class schedule at my gym sucks”
- “I had to go to the grocery store”
- “I don’t have time” (from a woman—my mom—who is retired!)
And my all time favorite excuse ever:
- “My dog is old and has trouble walking. If he see’s me go out for a walk he’ll be sad because he can’t go”
Trust me, I know that after a long day, nothing is more inviting than your living room sofa. But you are worth more than that. Your body deserves to experience the anti-inflammatory benefits of physical activity—i.e. protection against cardiovascular disease, cancer and diabetes. Choosing the sofa over exercise is just like saying: “My body isn’t worthy”
Unwrap all of your excuses for not exercising and just do it! Your body is your residence. Would you rather live in a garbage dump (wrapped up in a comfy blanket on your couch watching Seinfeld reruns) or a 5-star resort? The choice is yours. What’s your excuse?