5 Quick marinade recipes
Happy Memorial Day! If you’re like most Americans, you will be picnicking and grilling today. James P. DeWan, culinary instructor at Kendall College in Chicago, shares his five favorite marinade recipes to make your fish, beef, poultry, veggies or tofu a bit more delicious. Enjoy!
5 quick marinades
- Basic red wine marinade (meat or chicken): 1 cup red wine, 1/4 cup oil, 1/2 to 1 teaspoon each of various fresh or dried herbs (thyme, basil, rosemary, etc.), sliced onion and minced garlic to taste, a sprig of parsley.
- Asian-style marinade (meat, fish, vegetables or tofu): 1/2 cup each soy sauce and water (straight soy can overpower the meat), plus 1 tablespoon each of sugar, minced garlic and ginger
- Lemon marinade (meat, fish or vegetables): roughly equal parts lemon juice and olive oil, sweetened with a little honey or sugar or brown sugar, flavored with a little garlic and some black pepper
- Lime marinade (meat, fish or vegetables): roughly equal parts lime juice and olive oil, minced garlic, minced cilantro, cumin and/or chili powder to taste
- World’s quickest marinade (meat, fish, vegetables or tofu): Your favorite bottled oil-and-vinegar-based salad dressing.